[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteorite or ????

<< Sorry for the lack of comment.   I am new and figured that other people
 would have responded.  The biggest identifer of a meteorite is the high
 concentration of iron since most of the stuff on the surface has either
 melted to the core of the Earth or is rust.  Country rock doesn't have as
 much.  Typically, your near-by universities can identify them for you.
 Specifically, I know the U of Arizona, U of Arkansas, and the Smithsonian
 Inst will identify them *free*. >>

I too apologize. I'm a fairly big collector of meteorites but must have
missed your post somehow. While the best way to I.D. it is to take your
apecimen to the local geology Dept. of a college - the first thing you could
do is to see if it's attracted to a good magnet. Tie one on a string and
place it nearby. Even stony meteorites have enough metal in them to make the
magnet sway slightly. In the astronomy magazines - New England Meteoritical
IDs specimens. Good luck.

Kevin