[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) IMO-NEWS Re: Real time sharing?

[Some background on the previously forwarded message... -Lew Gramer]

------- Forwarded Message

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Josep_M=AA_Trigo_i_Rodriguez?= <jmtrigo@ctv.es>
To: "'Casper ter Kuile'" <pegasoft@accu.uudot nl>,
        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22=27J=FC?=
 =?iso-8859-1?Q?rgen_Rendtel_=28IMO=29=27=22?= <jrendtel@aipdot de>,
Cc: "'Julio Castellano Roig (SOMYCE)'" <julioc@arrakis.es>
Subject: RE: Real time sharing?
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 08:47:07 +0200

	Dear IMO colleagues,
>>On May 13, Stuart Saunders wrote:
>>>      How about it? I look forward to hearing others comments.

	A detailed analysis of meteor outbursts could be very interesting in =
the future. We have only one possibility to increase the number of =
potentially observers, a short communication between IMO members using =
mobile phones as has been proposed by Robert Haas. For example we can to =
establish a telephonic chain between some IMO responsibles in different =
countries. Only one call by person could be sufficient to alert a =
increasing team of observers in all Europe!

	I think that more interesting people to form part of the chain are =
experienced IMO members placed out of urban zones. It only requires a =
little organization of the chain.

	In the case of anormal (but moderate) activity of meteor showers I =
think that if we send a short message to IMO list immediately afterwards =
the observation, it could be a good inducement to increase the number of =
observers in the following solar longitudes. An example could be the =
past Lirids, June Bootids, etc...A fine lot of observers informed of =
meteor outbursts can increase the effective time by campaign and, =
consequently, the intrinsic value of the IMO meteor research.

.
>>The only chance to get other observers involved is the use of a
>>mobile phone

You can also e-mail whit an mobile phone a alert e-mail to imo news
> Yours Robert Haas DMS
[Josep M=AA Trigo i Rodriguez]  Of course!

I think both you and Jurgen are right.
But I agree with Jurgen I will not be sending e-mails when there is a
Leonid-storm in the sky!=20
[Josep M=AA Trigo i Rodriguez]  Of course not!... but a short alert call =
could be sufficient!
Perhaps only one to mark the very beginning of the
outburst but after that we will have to take care for our observations.=20
At the end of the observing session we have plenty of time (...) to send
lots of e-mails to all corners ot the earth. And to publish very first
results on our websites.
[Josep M=AA Trigo i Rodriguez]  Yes, but and if our team is the =
single...and the data are reduced and imcomplete as just now?

 I think that we should use IMO organisation to establish an =
international team of meteor research.
You and I have to be sure the photography and video-systems will be =
running
smoothly at our respective locations. And not only that but we are also =
in
charge for supplying exact timings of possibly photographed bright =
meteors.
So please stick to only one e-mail when you still have some time left to =
do so.
[Josep M=AA Trigo i Rodriguez]  Regards,
Josep Ma. Trigo i Rodriguez=20
Department Astronomia i Astrof=EDsica                     =20
Universitat de Val=E8ncia =20
SOMYCE
jmtrigo@ctv.es=20
http://www.ctv.es/USERS/jmtrigo
Phones : (+Spain Code)  964 -  282584  / 282968  (office)=20
(964) 395064 (part.) Fax: 964 - 285161
c/Manuel de Falla 26, 12.560 Benicassim (Castello)