[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) OT but interesting-Elongated Asteroids Believed To Be Weaker

support large surface features on asteroids, just as loose sand and weak
dirt can support huge mountains on Earth," he said.

I'm just curious...does the above analogy between earth's mountains and rubble-pile asteroids really hold
water?  If I remember my college geology correctly, most major mountains have "roots" which reach rather
deeply into the continental crust.  I can't think of any that are supported by loose sand and weak dirt!  If
there are any, please, someone let me know!  I don't want to camp or hike on any of them!
                            Outbursts,          Kim Youmans

Follow-Ups: References: