[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) DoD satellite obs. of meteors?

Robert Lunsford wrote:

> I received the following request. Can anyone provide me with the answer?
>
> Can you tell me how to access the DoD (Air Force?) satellite
> observations of bollides? I am interested in an event of June 7th, one
> year ago (1998), so this information has probably already appeared in a
> USAF release.
>
> Peter Brown's postings on his personal web site of USAF releases have
> not been updated in about one year, so his postings are not useful to me
> in this case.  He has no link, either, for direct access to the original
> releases.
>
> Thank you,
>
> --Joe Montani / Spacewatch
	From the International Meteor Organization's Fireball Web Page:
----
n 1993, with the implementation of the 'dual use' project (Tagliaferri et al.
, 1994) of the US military which uses data from US Government satellites for
science, offices of the US Department of Defense have contacted the Fireball
Data Center to get data from fireball reports directly via electronic mail,
since the relevent satellite data are stored for a short time only. Tha data
of FIDAC have been used to save the tapes with potential fireball data on it.
Therefore, fireballs brighter than -10 mag should be report immediately via
phone, fax or electronic mail to the FIDAC to avoid loss of such data.
The respective numbers are:
phone: (+49) 211 - 450 719 fax: (+49) 211 - 412 900 e-mail:starex@tron.gundot de
----

Mike