[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Is any interesting activity expected in the heavens this week?

In a message dated 6/13/99 8:25:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
NAtlantis@AOL.COM writes:

> I am hoping that there is some meteor activiy worth looking at while the
moon

>  is new.   Apart from sitting for hours hoping for some nice sporadic
> activity
>  does anyone have any suggestions?     What is the story with this new NASA
>  SUNBURST(?) satellite?  Is it easily observed without assistance, if so
> where
>  and when?   Thanks in advance for any input.

Mark gave the perfect quick reference  - the NAMN NOTES - to whats going on
in the June sky. There are tons of reference pages to look thru - go to:
http://web.infoavedot net/~meteorobs/    or imodot net for the calendar of meteor
events. Mark also sends a copy of the NAMN Notes to this listserv each month
(I guess your not reading carefully enuff!)

I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents about StarShine.  Don't bother...   I awoke
before dawn on the morning of release to look for it. I did see the ISS and
shuttle moving thru space together (about 20 deg) apart, but there was no
evidence of the StarShine satellite. In conversation with Joe Rao - he told
me that he saw the satellite but it managed only a few dim blinks the whole
trip across the sky. I also went to their web site and all other reports were
pretty disappoining IMHO. I don't know how they plan to keep kids involved
when they had to get up before dawn all the time to look for a few dim blinks.

When Joe gets a moment to write in he may have a different perspective -
since he actually saw the thing.

Again, this is just my opinion, please don't send me pro-StarShine hate mail.

Kevin K