[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet DIGEST, 15 June 1999"

GeoZay@aol.com wrote:

> >From Luigi Foschini <L.Foschini@isao.bo.cnrdot it>
> >>Already Paolo Farinella, during his talk in the plenary session at the
> Torino workshop, underlined this fact.. Specifically, he said that
> bodies in the range 10-100 m are poorly observed, in spite of their
> dangerousness. For example, the Tunguska cosmic body was about 60 m,
> but it destroyed an area of 2200 square kilometers.<<
>
> This is at least the second time I've read this message. I meant to comment
> about it the first time from wherever I saw it previously. But the figure of
> 2200 square kilometers of damage seems quite high to me. I just looked up in
> Richard Nortons book "Rocks from Space" that showed an approximate dimension
> of damage from the tunguska event to be in the neighborhood of about 20X25
> miles. In Square miles this would be about 500. My conversion into kilometers
> is rocky, but I would think it would be at least less than 1000?
> George Zay

I have not read the Nortons' book, but according to your citation, it
seems to me that Nortons underestimates the damage area. You can find
more precise data in the special issue of Planetary and Space Science
(vol. 46, n. 2/3, 1998) dedicated to the International Workshop
Tunguska96. Specifically, there is a good review by Vasilyev (p.
129-150), who analysed almost all available data and papers. He gives
the value of 2150 +- 25 km^2, of which the inner 100 km^2 were burst by
the fireball.

Greetings,

Luigi Foschini

--
Dr. Luigi Foschini
CNR - ISAO    (formerly FISBAT and IMGA)