[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) New Member Peter Stinson & Request for Info...

Hi Peter,
I've been trying in Australia to get Emergency Services to make some
simple checks to discount the fireball possibility before embarking on
expensive searches.  The basic check is to contact other services several
hundred kilometres away, that are under clear skies.  If they had reports
of the same phenomenon at the same time, it was not a flare.  But some
care must be taken.  The overall sightings must not only have a similar
appearance and time, but they must clearly relate to the same geographical
area.  Reports by phone can be grossly innaccurate, but if you get
sightings by people who are experienced and competent at making azimuth
and elevation measurements (not always easy to judge over the phone
despite what people say), the sightings over a large area should show an
overall consistency, indicating a great height (over 20km) for the event.

If you want to discuss this further, you can contact me directly.

Cheers, Rob

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au