[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) New Member Peter Stinson & Request for Info...

Rob<<
 My feeling is that as the general phenomenon of a flare is similar to the
 meteoric phenomenon, and that the reporting public are largely ignorant of
 one or both phenomena, there is no set of criterea that can be developed
 to make an assessment based on visual sightings.  I would tend to rely on
 the sightings from people you knew were knowledgable, or demonstrate that
 the sightings were only seen from a limited area (consistent with the
 height reached by a flare).

I agree. Responding to "false alarms" is the nature of the game. If for some
reason an actual flare is shot up for emergency purposes and it is dismissed
as a meteor, most likely somebodies head will roll for it.
GeoZay