[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Prospecting for Metorites

I'm going to cover several topics here, some just grazing on
topic status, but some of the most interesting e-mails on this list
have deviated off topic, and I feel that as we get to know each other
over time, it fills out our understanding of individuals.

       One of the most spectaular meteors I saw happen to appear
normal, then it apparently leveled out and moved directly away from
me. It foreshortened to a point of light, a white dot, surrounded by
the luminous tail for several seconds until it died out. It didn't
look like any type of flare at all, hanging in the sky like it did.
Let me say that to save money various rescue units perhaps should have
radioscatter equipment to match reports of flares to recorded meteors.
At $1000-$2000 per hour for some of the helicopers, it would pay for
itself pretty quick, but more than one flare seen by one indidiual
must be considered a valid report.

       It seems George Zay and I have simular interests, prospecting.
I've gotten away from it because when the Desert Protection Act became
law I lost a great prospect with good gold, silver and copper values,
all within a few hundred yards of homes and a highway, some wilderness
this was. I was president of a mining club for three years.

       One of the things I did over the years was pan for gold along
the beaches, even got published in "The Gold Prospector" in Ap/May
issue in '85-'86 (forget which year) about gold on the beaches. Some
time after the article I went to Del Mar Beach and recovered a little
gold, brass nails (ocean resistant) a few bits of gold about 3 lbs. of
lead and five little things that looked like small meteorites. The
chances that they are metorites is small but this is an environment
where one could reasonably expect to find such resistant (hardened by
entry) and heavy items, with lead, gold and other metal objects that
can be recovered by regular panning and saving of the concentrates so
they can be inspected at leasure. This was done when the sand levels
were at their lowest of the year and in an area that naturally
concentrated heavy items. But for people who want to find meteorites,
bedrock panning along the beaches during low sand may provide results.

       I would like someone to tell me how distant would a metoer
sighting be if it was at 100 km (62 miles) high but was seen on the
horizon at sea level? I saw a bright meteor once like that and I've
wondered how far away it was, oh yes, it didn't look anything like a
flair either.                         Dave English