[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Pre-Dawn Observations

Hello George,

            Thanks for the offer of plotting charts and for noticing my hard
work!  I already have a set of charts I obtained through NAMN, and my intent
was, during the IMO's (and Robert Lunford's!) call for observation of the June
Lyrids (and Xi Draconids), to plot all the candidates I might get to observe.
In fact, I did plot one potential June Lyrid on the 13th.  I did not see
anything noteworthy on the single period of the 17/18th, and I had considerable
distraction, in the form of visitors, on the 18/19th.  I have read on other
threads that too much talk during a session degrades the data, and I can vouch
for that!  Anyway, I was much too uncertain of my accuracy for the two possible
xdr's I saw, and the fireball Johnny saw went behind a tree!  (I never intended
to plot any sporadics or SAG's during these sessions.)
           As for the usefulness of my data, I am perfectly happy, for the time
being, in continuing to hone my skill at magnitude estimation, meteor speed,
and learning the constellations.  For an experienced observer like yourself,
all that may seem second-nature motor reflex -- but for someone who's only been
at it (in a serious sense) for three months, and who wants his data to be as
accurate(and thus, truely useful) as possible, it can seem daunting!
         However, you might be surprised at the number of excellent on-line
"coaches" I've had during this time, and who knows, I should be spitting out
those plotting charts here in no time at all.

Happy Ablations!

Kim Youmans