[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation June 20./21.

     Weather finally improved over here and I managed to get almost three hours of observing last night.
The nights are now painfully short at these latitudes (46 N). The activity was very good. In TEFF 2.64 hours I
saw 24 meteors. Most of them were sporadics, but there were also two SAG, one JBO and one possible
Xi Draconid.  And as if the short night was not enough I was constantly surrounded by a swarm of B-52 mosquitoes.
   I watched the area between head of Draco, Vega and Deneb. The limiting magnitude went down to +6.2 in
that area. The highligth of the night was a fast -1 magnitude sporadic, appearing in Cygnus and leaving a nice 2 second
train. There were also a 0 magnitude SAG and a 0 magnitude possible Xi Draconid.
   But the most interesting part were not the bright meteors but a radiant which I did not find in any literature.
During the night I noticed very rapid, quite like Leonid, meteors coming from a radiant a little above Deneb.
I plotted five of these meteors which revealed a radiant at  DEC +53° , R.A. 21h 30m. All of these meteors were between
+1 and +3 magnitude and very rapid. (this is probably a known radiant which I haven't found yet...  ...so any suggestions
 are welcome ). I labeled these meteors as SPO*.
   During the last part of the observation, extending into dawn hours I kept an eye for Beta Taurids, but saw none.

SHOWER BREAKDOWN:
SPO					14
JBO					 1
SAG					 3
XDR					 1
SPO*					 5

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTION
		-1	0	+1	+2	+3	+4	+5	+6		mean magnitude
SPO		 1  			 1	2.5        4.5        4.5       0.5	    	       +3.71
JBO							  1				        +4.5
SAG			1				  1          1			       +3.00
XDR			1								          +0
SPO*				  2	 0.5	2.5			                                +2.1

order of apperance
23:52		+3.0	SPO
00:03		+4.0	SPO
00:20		+4.5	SPO
00:30		+5.0	SPO
00:32		+5.5	SPO
00:33		+2.5	SPO	   blue
00:39		+5.0	SPO
00:48		+4.0	JBO
00:53		+2.5	SPO	   green
01:03		+1.0	SPO*
01:05		+2.5	SPO*
01:05		+3.0	SPO*
01:13		  +0	XDR	yellow, terminal burst
01:17		+3.0	SPO*
01:25		+4.5	SPO
01:30		+1.5	SPO	yellow, terminal burst
01:38		+5.0	SAG
01:50		+4.0	SPO
02:04		-1.0	SPO	yellow, 2 second train
02:06		+4.0	SAG
02:14		+3.5	SPO
02:23		+1.0	SPO*	yellow
02:23		  +0	SAG	yellow, vake
02:23		+4.0     SPO

last three appeared in leass than 10 seconds!

TEFF	2.64 hours
dead time per plot   45 sec
dead time per entry   15 sec

LM