[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Pre-Dawn Observations

<<    As for the usefulness of my data, I am perfectly happy, for the time
 being, in continuing to hone my skill at magnitude estimation, meteor speed,
 and learning the constellations.  For an experienced observer like yourself,
 all that may seem second-nature motor reflex -- but for someone who's only been
 at it (in a serious sense) for three months, and who wants his data to be as
 accurate(and thus, truely useful) as possible, it can seem daunting!<<

If you really want to make some headway in learning the constellations, try
plotting all the meteors you see during a 3 to 5 hour session. You'll be
surprised how much in the way of constellation recognition you will gain from
such an effort. It really imprints in the brain when you try to match what is
in the sky to a chart. During the slow period that we are still in, efforts
in magnitude estimation and meteor speed judgements will be the same whether
you are doing the "Counting" method or the "Plotting" method. With the few
meteors you will be seeing, there is plenty of time to try out plotting
without missing any significant number of meteors. It's a lot better to learn
plotting with warm weather than later during the colder months.
GeoZay