[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Pre-Dawn Observations

>>>It really imprints in the brain when you try to match what is
in the sky to a chart. During the slow period that we are still in, efforts
in magnitude estimation and meteor speed judgements will be the same whether
you are doing the "Counting" method or the "Plotting" method. With the few
meteors you will be seeing, there is plenty of time to try out plotting
without missing any significant number of meteors. It's a lot better to learn
plotting with warm weather than later during the colder months.

           Sounds like good, solid advice, George, especially the part about winter
plotting!  It  looks like its gonna be fair here tonight, so I just might dedicate
my first hour to plotting, tonight and from now on. Jure's latest report was sure
interesting, plot-wise.  If I get the chance I want to observe his "new?" radiant,
and plotting might be the ticket for that!
        But, in addition to my "newbieness" another reason I want an accurate count
is I am interesting in overall rates, be it shower or non-shower nights.  That's a
reason why I try and get out so much -- I'm trying to assess rates for one year and
accrue data for that.  That is my goal for 1999.  I plan to begin amassing plotted
data on a regular basis next year, beginning in March.
                            Happy Prospecting,
                                                      Kim S. Youmans