Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:53:39 EDT
From: CurlyBob@aol.com
To: webmaster@imodot net
Subject: Meteor in Australia

Dear Sir,

I have been trying to confirm the enclosed article.  I recieved this as an E
mail letter and would like to confirm it through another source.  I thought
that possibly you might have data on this sighting.

Thanks for any help you might give me,

Bob Stamps,

Confirmed - Meteorite Explodes In Australia...06/21/99
by Mitch Battros (ECTV)

Thanks to you, our viewers, we have confirmed this breaking news story.
This is another hugh event not to be found with any of the mainstream
media.

Saturday night I was sent a first hand eye witness report from Mella
Martin who lives in the area. I tried feverishly to find collaborating
information. No one was carrying the story. So I sent an email to all
our Ausi friends. Finally, just in this morning, I received the below
article from our friends down under, Stan and Holly Deyo.

Sorry folks, it is all part of journalism. A story must be collaborated
by more than one source.

It appears this may be one of the largest meteors to cross our skies in
some time. It is not yet confirmed of impact. More as information comes
in.
_________________________

Meteorite has them screaming
 By Paul Toohey

    21jun99

    INSIDE the community hall, the newly formed country-gospel band was
nervously going through its repertoire. Outside, people began screaming
in horror. The band knew it wasn't that bad.

    The night sky over the Northern Territory desert community of
Lajamanu had lit up bright blue, red and yellow. A close-passing
meteorite - described as "enormous" - shook houses, sent dogs crazy and
had shrieking people running in every direction.

    "We had a star coming down - right on top of us," said Lajamanu
Council leader, Doug Johnson, who was sitting outside on the basketball
court with his kids.

    "We were all frightened and we all went running wild. After the
flash of light and the bang, we waited for maybe two, three minutes.
Next thing everything was shaking. We never seen something like that
before."

    It was last Friday night, at 9.30. Lajamanu is 500km south of Darwin
- but the meteorite was seen as far away as Alice Springs, where a truck
driver heading north out of town watched the celestial payload
progressing and disintegrating from east to west across the sky. He
quickly reported it to the Meteorite Hotline in Melbourne.

    Hotline operations manager Ross Dowe said the meteorite took about
30 seconds to cross the sky: "Which indicates to us it was enormous."

    It is not certain whether the explosion and tremors, which came from
just west of the town, were caused by sonic boom or the meteorite
hitting earth. On Saturday, Lajamanu store manager Jim Butler took a
light aircraft with spotters and zig-zagged over a big area looking for
signs of impact.

    The desert is low and rocky. Mr Butler said any aberration on the
landscape would usually be fairly visible, but "we saw nothing except
for a couple of fires - and they may have been natural grass fires".

Mitch Battros