From: newtonj@ttc.com
To: meteorobs@jovian.com
cc: newtonj@ttc.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:50:26 -0400
Subject: Very unusual meteor??? Re-entry??? Little green men??? I don't know...

I saw a very, very, unusual sight last night. Now I'm not as experienced as
some of you, but I have been observing showers regularly since the '96
Leonids. I was sitting outside last evening, gazing upward as I always do
when there are stars out. I was shocked as a gigantic, oddly shaped, very
bright, very slow, fireball-like object appeared, It wasn't even dark
enough for me to pick out the constellations at this point. I first saw it
approx 20 degrees SE of the zenith. The leading edge appeared sort of flat
and wide, almost half the width of a full moon. A trail followed off center
of the body. It was very close to matching the brightness of the moon,
(-7 or -8??) which was also in my view (Discounting last years leonid
fireball frenzy this was by far the brightest meteor-like phenomena I have
ever seen). It traveled very slowly (giving me time to exclaim "Holy sh**"
and lean forward so that I could look around my grape vines as it
approached the horizon. As it approached the horizon my view was obstructed
by my nieghbors tree, but through the tree I watched and it remained very
bright, well down into the haze and light pollution of wash. DC, traveling
SSE, I lost sight as it approached the horizon, I did not see it extinguish
but lost sight while it was still as bright as ever. This was observed from

LAT. 39 28'     LONG 77 43' 30"
at 9:28 PM Eastern time.

I will try to give you an idea of the shape below, since it was so unusual.

Zzz
Zzzzz
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Zzzzzz
Zzzzz
Zzzz
Zzz
Zz

This is not a very good representation, but gives an idea of what I mean by
large flat head, off center trail.
So..... What do you think?

John N

------- End of Forwarded Message