[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observations 23/24

The night produced only 15 meteors, but among them were many fine bright ones. The sky was clear during the day, but clouds moved in during twilight. I waited untill 00:40 LT when the sky cleared in a most bizzare way. When I came out there was a cover of altocumulus clouds with some gaps through which stars shone. Then in less than two minutes the cloud cover dissapeared and the sky remained clear untill 2:50 LT.
   The sky was very transparent, almost like those winter crystal clear nights. So in spite of the moon's very troublesome glare (which I partially eliminated by choosing a place behind my house) the limiting magnitude was quite good. I started at +6.0 and when the Moon set it dropped to +6.2.
   The best of the night was a -3 mag SAG fireball (which was oddly the only SAG I saw...) which lasted for 2 seconds and covered 60 degrees. It left a 2 second train and fragmented in form of sparks. Another good meteor was a +4.5 mag sporadic grazer. It lasted for full 4 seconds, covering 70 degrees.
Among others was also a very probable early PER. It aligned with the radiant perfectly, also it was the right length and apperance ( quite rapid, yellow and left a 1 second train).

SHOWER BREAKDOWN:
SPO			12
PER			 1
SAG			 1
XDR			 1

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTION
		-3	-2	-1	0	+1	+2	+3	+4	+5	+6
SPO		 0 	 0	 0	1	 2	 0	2.5	 4	1.5 	 1
PER		 0	 0	 0	1	 0	 0	 0	 0	 0	 0
SAG		 1	 0	 0	0	 0	 0	 0	 0	 0	 0
XDR		 0	 0	 0	0	 0	 0	 1	 0	 0	 0

order of apperance (time in LT)
00:52		+1.5	SPO	yellow, wake
01:03		+3.5	SPO
01:14		+4.0	SPO
01:18		+4.5	SPO
01:24		+4.0	SPO
01:50		+3.0	SPO
01:57		+6.0	SPO	very short, appeared right in my centre of vision
02:04		 +0	PER	yellow, 1 second train
02:12		 +0	SPO	yellow, 1 second train
02:18		+3.5	SPO
02:18		+5.0	SPO
02:32		  -3	SAG	sparks, orange, 2 second train
02:35		+1.0	SPO
02:40		+3.0	XDR
02:46		+3.5	SPO

TEFF (00:40 - 02:50 ): 1.98 h
time per plot: 45 seconds (13 plots)
time per entry only:  15 seconds (2)

Field: head of Draco - Deneb - Vega  00:40 - 02:00
         summer triangle  	02:00 - 02:50

LM: +6.0 throught the observation

Sky obscured: 0% throughtout the observation

Satellites: 23
Bats: 3
Fireflies: 4
Mosquitos: got one, not sure about the other one...

LOCATION: Velenje	15.110 E
			46.353 N

Clears skieas everyone and good luck with June Bootids!!!!

Jure Atanackov