[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Sprite sighting

Hi Pete,
Was the association of the meteor and the sprite absolutely clear cut?
Unless the camera was pointing overhead, the meteor would be in quite a
different geographical region from the thunderhead as the heights were
probably 80+km and 5km respectively.  Was the motion of the sprite
consistent with the orientation of the Leonid in three dimensions?

[off topic]
The lower parts of a thunderstorm are negatively charged, whereas the
upper parts are positive if I remember the (simplified) standard model.
The expression "a bolt from the blue" might refer to the occasional
positive lightning stroke that arcs from the top of the thunderhead often
through a clear sky and strikes the ground at some distance from the
storm.  These flashes are usually more powerful than the standard
negative flash, are somewhat less common and often catch people unawares,
resulted in a number of deaths.

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au