[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Tunguska bolide & Beta taurid stream

As I understand it, the date, time and direction of the Tunguska bolide
are quite consistent with the Beta Taurids.  Opinions differ regarding the
nature of the object, and I don't know what the consensus is, but
consensus is not necessarily the best judge.  It is necessary to have
assessed all the arguments, and there are probably not a large number of
people competent to do this.  Detailed arguments regarding the passage of
the body through the atmosphere have certainly been made in favour of it
being an asteroidal body.  A new scientific expedition to the Tunguska
region is about to get underway.

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au