[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Are Xi Draconids same stream as June Lyrids?

G. Gliba<<
    Is it possible that, if the Xi Draconids exist, and the June Lyrids
 are extinct, or nearly so, that they are the same meteor stream? That
 the old June Lyrids parent comet was perturbed by Jupiter or something.
 They both have similar velocities and are relatively (~20 deg.) close
 in the sky. Any comments?

After "I" made the initial announcement here on this list of a possible new
shower in this area, I think Rainer Arlt made a posting indicating that this
wouldn't be likely? I don't remember why though? To me what you said above
would seem possible?

 Just to clarify the sequence of events on the announcment of a possible XI
Draconid radiant, it went something like this:

Lunsford and I observed together on June 11/12, 1996. During that observing
period we had commented to each other on what seemed to be extra activity
initiating from somewhere near Draco's head. Either that day or within a
couple days of this date and prior to an announcement by Marco Langbroek, I
made the announcement here on this list about a possible new radiant in that
area. A few days later, Marco made his announcement here on this list based
upon observations he made on the night of June 15/16. He then wrote an IMO
article about it. In the article he mentions Bob's and mine observations for
the night of June 15/16, but innocently forgot to mention that we saw
possible Xi Draconid activity 4 days prior to his observation on June 11/12.
GeoZay