[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Early Meteors (was: Re: (meteorobs) Observations 23/24)

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 KevTK@aol.com wrote:
> This is a good point to discuss. When does a sporadic become any early ___
> (whatever)?  How early is early?

I'd say when the shower ZHR is greater than 2.  This is limit is by
definition, but is based on what is observable.  Using a threshold
does permit some measure of consistency.  It serves the same purpose
as a standard shower list.  Results can be intercompared.  If we used
something like Denning's lists with dozens of showers each night,
there'd be hardly any sporadics.  Sure there are more showers than on
the IMO list, but their activity is at or below the detection
threshold.  Some of these are, however, observable telescopically
because you can discriminate weak showers from the background more
easily.  You have to allow me the occasional plug for telmets. (-:
OK OK video would do even better.

Malcolm