[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observations 23/24

Mark wrote:
> I would agree with you Malcolm, it probably is to early for the Perseids.
> The IMO lists the activity period at July 17 to August 24 but I also feel
> July 17th may be a little late. Our observers have been reporting Perseids
> earlier than that for several years now. A quick look at the last two years
> had the first Perseid in 1997 being reported by James Smith in New Brunswick
> on July 10/11. Last year was even earlier....Thomas Lazuka in Indiana
> reported 2 Perseids on July 2nd.

The activity dates as I understand them are supposed to be when the
shower is detectable by visual means.  That's not to say that there
aren't Perseid meteors outside of those dates.  July 10/11 is plausible.
July 2nd, I'm doubtful.  That early the radiant position isn't well
defined.  It's at best an extrapolation, and some observers (not Jure I
hasn't to add) ignore radiant motion.

Malcolm