[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Tunguska bolide & Beta taurid stream

Where do NEO's originate from? Are they asteroids from the main belt whose orbits have been preturbed by planets? Are they an independant group of asteroids?

Ang given the number of NEO's, number of short period comets and their life spans, isn't it possible that quite a large number of these bodies are ''dead'' comets?

Concerning the origin of Tunguska body. In the Discovery programme Three minutes to Impact there have been a number of examples of asteroids and comet hitting the earth. In 1930 a 30-m rocky body hit Brasil. The object fragmented before hitting the ground (there also seems to be evidence of a crater-like structure at the calculated point of impact).
Tunguska body on the other hand produced a plume, similar to those produced by SL-9 on Jupiter. The best piece of evidence for this is the scattered light which lit up the night in Europe and Asia.
What I'm saying that the major evidence for a cometary origin is the plume. Do such plumes occur with asteroidal bodies??
Are there more recent such bolides that we can compare them? Honduras and Greenland fireballs of 1997...?

Jure