[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Are Xi Draconids same stream as June Lyrids?

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Stop Light Pollution! wrote in Meteorobs:

>    Is it possible that, if the Xi Draconids exist, and the June Lyrids
> are extinct, or nearly so, that they are the same meteor stream? That
> the old June Lyrids parent comet was perturbed by Jupiter or something.
> They both have similar velocities and are relatively (~20 deg.) close
> in the sky. Any comments?

Hello!

This point indeed has been raised soon after I reported my 1996 'xi
Draconid' outburst of June 15-16 1996. A number of people pointed to the
similarity between both streams.

Indeed, there is reason to think that the 'June Lyrids' and 'xi Draconids'
concern the same stream. The radiants reported for 1966 (Stan Dvorak's
June Lyrid outburst) and 1996 (my xi Draconid outburst) are not too far
apart as mentioned by GWG above: my 1996 radiant was at RA 18h40m and dec.
+55, with some leeway possible most notably towards a somewhat lower
declination (see plotting chart that appeared in WGN with my report).
This is based on 13 plotted stream members from that night. Dvorak in
1966 noted a radiant at 18h 35m, dec. +30 (can anyone tell me if this is
based on plottings?). Perhaps the real radiant position is somewhere
inbetween. We have seen this kind of disagreement before with streams
displaying either a very low level activity or short duration bursts:
note that before we published our 1995 photographic and video results on
the alpha Monocerotids in November, the radiant positions given for that
stream were very wide apart from source to source. Perhaps, there even is
a real deviation of this order from return to return with these kind of 'far
comet meteor outburst' (note that similar deviations occur in the
reported radiants for the three Aurigid outbursts too...).

Dvorak's 1966 activity burst occured at solar longitude 85.13 (+- 0.05),
while my activity burst from 1996 occured at 85.17 (+-0.01), which is
virtually identical. Another reason to think that the 'two' streams are
identical and it is 'just' a matter of some uncertainty in the correct
radiant position.

I have grown ever more convinced that what Dvorak observed in 1966 and
what I observed in 1996 (see note below) were modest examples of a 'far
comet type' meteor outburst from one single stream (and I suggest to give
the Dvorak stream name priority and hence call the stream 'June Lyrids',
not 'xi Draconids' as I called them in 1996). There are reasons to think
so. Peter Jenniskens (NASA/Ames) has done a lot of work on these
enigmatic outbursts that happen without warning. He found that for the
streams with a historic record of several of such outbursts (which he
calls 'far comet type' (Jenniskens A&A 295 (1995), 206; A&A 317 (1997),
953), the outburst tend to correlate with certain barycentric positions
(see Jenniskens 1997; the barycenter is the position of the gravity
center of the solar system; the sun shows a slight wobbling movement
around this barycenter which is known as the 'reflex motion'). In
essence, the outburst thus tend to occur when the two planets that
account for the major part of the barycentric displacement (Jupiter and
Saturn) occupy similar orbital positions. He also noted that a favourable
condition for many historic far comet outburst examples seems to be when
either of those two planets is in line with the nodal line of the stream in
question (see Jenniskens' 1997 Astronomy & Astrophysics paper for
details: 'Meteor outbursts and the reflex motion of the sun, A&A 317,
953-961). When we look at the 1966 and 1996 'June Lyrids/xi Draconids', we
note:

a) Saturn occupying a similar orbital position in both 1966 and 1996;
b) Jupiter in line with the nodal plane of the stream in both 1966 and
1996, albeit in opposite directions.

Therefore, and given the similarities between the 1996 and 1996 meteor
occurence, I feel what Dvorak observed in '66 and I observed in '96 were
modest 'far comet' outburst from one single stream. Either 2026 or 2020
might then give prospects for another small outburst.

- Marco Langbroek
  Dutch Meteor Society
  (observed the 1996 June Lyrid/'xi Draconid' outburst)

note: for those who do not know the history behind the 'xi Draconids' of
1996: on the night of June 15-16 1996, during a routine meteor observing
session from my house at Voorschoten, the Netherlands, I observed a
-totally unexpected- burst of meteors from the radiant mentioned above.
In 1.90h effective with Lm near +6.1, I noted (in addition to a good
number of sporadics) 13 meteors from this radiant, most of them occuring
within one hour. In fact, 5 of the 13 occured in rapid succesion within ten
minutes (between 22:32 and 22:42 UT). Although rates were not
spectacularly high, being confronted with an activity of such unexpected
character was thrilling!
That same June, Bob Lunsford and George Zay reported (independantly from
my observation) a low level activity over several nights from a similar
radiant. While the stream thus was noted by more than one observer in
1996, the surge I observed near 22:40 UT on June 15 has as far as I know
not been observed by any other observer, which is very unfortunate
because confirmation of these kind of events is important.
Stan Dvorak was an American observer who observed a surge of 13 meteors
(and a low number of sporadics in addition) in 90 minutes time from a
radiant about 20 degrees south of the 1996 radiant from his observing
site at La Mesa (CA) on June 15 1966.