[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Tunguska bolide & Beta taurid stream

George K<<
 Whoops,   "I will defer to George Zay and others...." ?   I do not have or
 want the authority to defer or delegate.   Sorry, George and others.   I
 should have have said "I will pass in any discussion of  the origin of
 ." >>

Uhhhhhh.....I would like to defer to George Kelly and others about the
discussion of the origin of near earth asteroids.  :o)     George, I don't
know that much about where most of the NEO's come from etc. I was only giving
my opinion based upon what I interpret from the various discussions of what
most likely made up the Tunguska object. I mainly base my feelings that the
Tunguska object is asteroidal from the number of smaller stony objects that
explode much like Tunguska did each year. I know some of these objects have
been detected by military surveillance satellites and I think they indicated
that they had orbits that took them back to the vicinity of the asteroid
belt? Not too sure on that, but I believe I read that somewhere? Also when I
consider the lack of meteorites from cometary meteor showers, they seem too
fragile to get to the lower levels of the atmosphere to produce sonic booms
as the smaller yearly tunguska-like  explosions do. I believe the Tunguska
object is simply a bigger brother to the more frequent smaller annual events.
 I think if they were cometary objects, some of the monster fireballs from
last years Leonids would have produced some meteorites or at least the sonic
booms when they reached low enough levels in the atmosphere to produce
hearable one's? I don't think either has been reliably reported? If smaller
cometary fragments that enters the earths atmosphere don't have characterists
similar to the smaller asteroidal fragments, I would be less inclined to
think that the tunguska object was cometary.  Anyhow, this is what my opinion
is basically based on. As you all know, opinions are like sphincter
muscles....everybody has one.  :o)
GeoZay