[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NASA News articles

Hi -- I wanted to thank both Joe Rao and Rob McNaught for their informative
comments on the Leonids.

I have a question for Joe:  Joe, in your 1998 Sky & Telescope article on
the Leonids there is a 2 dimensional scatter plot with "Distance of the
comet's orbit from Earth" on one axis and "Distance between comet's and
Earth's arrival time at node" on the other.  It appears to show that there
were seven Leonid apparitions dating back to 934 when the Earth arrived at
the node less than 299 days after the comet.  Of those, only 1965 and 1533
were major showers, and none rose to the level of "storm."

Am I reading this plot correctly?

Regards, Tony Phillips