[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Is NAMN and the ALPO Meteor Section needed?

Kim<<
 George, Speaking only for myself, I can say that NAMN has done more than
 either the IMO or the AMS in keeping the "lowliest of the low"  up to date on
 meteor information.  I have only tentatively gotten myself involved with the
AMS
 and IMO, as the NAMN fees were free, thereby offering me a chance to test the
 waters, so to speak, and see how far I really wanted to commit myself.  I
recieve
 timely  bulletins and all the online help I ask for.  Not that that wouldn't
be
 available elsewhere.<<

Good answer Kim.  But isn't Mark the visual coordinator for both AMS and
NAMN? Are you suggesting that Mark is dragging his feet as the AMS Visual
coordinator and not while representing NAMN? Couldn't you get the same info
from Mark representing AMS if he changed the message heading stating that it
is from AMS and not NAMN?  I don't think he would charge you for this
information whether his title was that of an officer from AMS or NAMN? I'm
not a member of either, but I'm sure you can find essentially the same info
at both websites...if not, at least on IMO's website. I bet if you weren't a
member of AMS and you submitted a properly prepared meteor report, they
wouldn't turn it away? I'm sure as the AMS visual coordinator, Mark would
help you just as much in filling out a meteor report as he would representing
NAMN.

kim>>Now that I have joined the IMO, I await to see if I get as much
 up-to-the-minute info, alerts, and bulletins as currently provided by NAMN --
 free of charge.<<

Now that you are a member of IMO, you will notice that the bimonthly journals
you get will have the same long range information that you get from NAMN
along with the annual meteor shower calendar. You will get most of the "Up to
the minute info, alerts and bulletins" just as far ahead of time as Mark
does.

kim>>I have noticed also that Meteorobs comes under the auspices of NAMN
 -- does it not?  Please point me to a similar service offered by the AMS,
ALPO,
 or the IMO...<<

Actually, I think Lew is the one that is offering this service. Do you think
meteorobs would disappear if Lew decides to say he is under the auspices of
AMS, ALPO, IMO or no one? I'm sure nothing would change to meteorobs if NAMN
disappeared? When Lew first approached me with the idea about him setting
this list up, Mark and I were eager to get him to say he was part of NAMN.
The reasoning at the time was to keep the then floundering AMS from taking
control and essentially putting the squeeze on the newly formed NAMN. Now
that AMS and NAMN are "sweethearts", it only stands to reason that only one
is needed.

 kim>>Not just passing through,
                                 Kim S.
                                Youmans<<
Glad to see you are sticking around for awhile....  :o)
GeoZay