[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Tunguska bolide & Beta taurid stream

At 09:03 PM 6/26/99 +0000, E. L. Jones wrote:
>Hello List!
>Reference meteorites with known orbits: Last count I have for recovered
>meteorites for which orbits were calculated are Peekskill, Farmington,
>Innisfree, Pribram, Lost City and Dhajala (6 total).

There are quite a few more than that actually.  An extremely cursory look
turned up the following falls with calculated orbits:

Kun'-Urgench, June 20, 1998
Piplia Kalan, June 20, 1996
Coleman, October 20, 1994
St-Robert, June 15, 1994
Mbale, August 14, 1992
Sterlitamak, May 17, 1990
Glanerbrug, April 7, 1990
Gorlovka, 1974
Murchison, September 28, 1969

Plus a reference to a publication by Simonenko entitled "Elementy orbit 45
meteoritov. Atlas", or "Orbital elements of 45 meteorites: An atlas" first
published in 1975 in Russian, but apparently translated to English by NASA
in 1976.

Interesting dates above - note the clustering in mid-June.

The question George asked related to the number of recoveries from events
observed by the major patrol networks, which are the three I mentioned.
Peekskill was a serendipitous catch by many members of the public,
fortunately quite a few of them were armed with video cameras.  Farmington
fell in 1890, and Dhajala was another serendipitous observation by many
members of the public.  Thanks, by the way for mentioning Dhajala, I wasn't
familiar with that one, and your comment led me to an excellent paper by
Bhandari, et al from Meteoritics in 1976 on the Dhajala fall.

Aloha,

JB

Follow-Ups: References: