[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) List Etiquette, and Mr. Zay

----- Original Message -----
From: Michelle <medic17931@webtvdot net>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 1999 12:39 PM

>Please Please enough of these arguments.
>I am new to this list I enjoy the education and learning I am acquiring.
>Hold back the anger and keep it to a more  professional manner.

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to the list!! I am glad you have found it a source of information
and enjoyment. That is how it usually is except every so often. Give it some
time, the flaming usually ceases when Mr. Zay leaves.

Unfortunately, as I am sure you have noticed, I am often the recipient of
many of the derogatory remarks as well as outright lies, and flames that
occasionally appear here. As an example, over the past three days I have
posted notes to the mail list dealing with only fireballs, early Perseids
and report forms. None of those messages were directed to Mr. Zay, or even
referenced anything he said. However, his attacks not only continue, but
increase.

This is the only mailing list (other than work related) that I subscribe to.
So I would like to find out what steps are taken on other lists to prevent
such behavior? Has anyone seen such behavior before? Making this a moderated
list would resolve this issue, but is not something I would want to see
happen. Posting a response is frowned upon by the subscribers. Mr. Zay
refuses to discuss the issues off the mailing list as he will only post my
private responses to the list as he did Lew Gramer's. So how should his
accusations, lies, and flames be handled?

Suggestions?

Until someone can come up with a better suggestion, I am forced to respond
to these attacks, but will attempt to do so on a professional level. After
all, even in a court of law the accused have the right to their say.

So to the entire list I am once again forced to apologize for wasting
everyone's time (mine included) by following up Mr. Zay's chosen topics. For
those not wanting to follow the discussion, I will post the name "Zay" in
the subject of my postings. That way they can be deleted without wasting
your time to read them. As most of you know, this will be over soon and we
can get back to what the list was intended for.

And finally to Michelle (and anyone else interested), I encourage you to
join the North American Meteor Network. We produce a monthly newsletter,
have forms, instructions and our own handbook. In any event, most of this
material is available at our website (see URL below), or can be ordered from
me directly. This is all done for free, there are no membership fees or
$10.00 charges. If interested, just let me know.

Clear skies,

Mark Davis, MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, USA
Visual Program Coordinator
North American Meteor Network & American Meteor Society