[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Counts versus Plots

Recently there was a thread concerning counting versus plotting for new
observers looking to learn the constellations while at the same time
learning the various meteor data that is recorded. There have always been
two schools of thought on this matter. The one recommended in this
particular thread was that an observer can learn the constellations while
plotting meteors. While this fact is not arguable, I do not recommend
observers follow this method for two simple reasons.

First, I believe it introduces unnecessary errors into the observation.
Someone trying to record the standard parameters (time, magnitude, shower
association, velocity, color, trains, DCV, etc.) will now have to recall
those, PLUS the beginning and end point of a fleeting apparition, and
transfer those coordinates to paper. So unintentional errors in the other
parameters may creep in while scouring or worrying over one or more charts
looking for a recognizable star pattern.

Second, at the very least, it creates an extra amount of dead time.
Observers, especially those just starting out, tend to get satisfaction in
seeing the time they spend observing actually considered as effective
observing time. So why stifle their enthusiasm by subtracting unnecessary
dead time from their Teff?

Although it is clear that plotting is the preferred method many times,
counts are still used by all the major meteor groups. How long a new meteor
observer should delay plotting to learn proper meteor recording and in
particular, constellation recognition, is dependent on the observer. For
example, an avid, experienced deep sky observer probably already has
sufficient knowledge of the constellations to begin plotting before someone
who is just starting out with observing.

In general, what I have been recommending to new NAMN observers is to
observe the meteor activity for a full year before trying their hand at
plotting. Not only does this give them an idea of meteor activity throughout
the year, but it also exposes them to the constellations, and their
movements through the seasons. This is acceptable training by all major
meteor groups that I am aware of, so is proof it is considered to be useful.
Although maybe not for every observer, I think this method is more than
adequate to insure new observers are able to contribute to observing
programs right from the start.

Mark Davis, MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, USA
Visual Program Coordinator
North American Meteor Network & American Meteor Society
NAMN:   http://web.infoavedot net/~meteorobs
AMS:    http://www.amsmeteors.org/