[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) radio meteor paths

Hi

My knowledge of radio, radio astronomy etc is patchy and I am trying to
fill it in a bit. I've even bought "the ARRL Antenna book", amongst others,
plus heaps if internet searches.

This email is about trying to get more out of forward scatter radio meteor
systems. I only have a basic one at the moment. I've managed to move from
sitting in the car to having a second hand (free) digital radio in my
bedroom/study, though I have to turn off one or two of my more "noisy"
computers. I have plenty of things I know I can do to improve it... given
some spare time/money.

However I would like to ask a more "theoretical" question of those already
doing this type of observation.

Given either an interferometer or some other novel system of antennae, can
the (radio) path of meteor be plotted or even imaged using the forward
scatter technique?  I see from some of the abstracts, that I recently read,
that it may be possible though I can't get the articles to read yet. A
J.Jones and A.Webster at the Uni of Western Ontario seem to be fairly
active in this area.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that if we can image the night sky in
wavelengths that our eyes can see and "see" a meteor streak across the sky,
can we not also do the same with the longer wavelenths in the radio
spectrum? I guess the question revolves around antennae (arrays),
resolution, wavelengths etc.

thanks
Bruce