[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) American Meteor Society: a federation

Hello all,

Since the waters have been muddied a bit lately with regard to our
organization and its structure, I thought I might offer a note of
clarification to everyone.  The American Meteor Society (AMS) is the
central, or umbrella organization for a number of affiliated organizations.
 In essence, we form a federation -- a union of related organizations
joined together in order to consolidate tasks and work towards common
goals.  The society currently includes:

*  Association of Lunar and Planetary Observers (ALPO) Meteor Section

*  Jordanian Astronomical Society (JAS)

*  Meteor Group Hawaii (MGH)

*  North American Meteor Network (NAMN)

*  New Jersey Astronomical Association (NJAA) Meteor Group

With regard to our affiliated organizations, the primary role of the AMS is
support and coordination:  providing data collection, distribution, and
archive services; publication services; Internet support and public
education services; and most importantly, looking for more and improved
ways in which amateur meteor science enthusiasts can contribute to ongoing
amateur or professional  level research.  Each affiliate group functions
autonomously, filling its own particular niche, while together we, as the
AMS, perform those tasks for which centralization makes the most sense.

Traditionally, AMS affiliate groups consisted of state organizations, such
as MGH and NJAA, but thanks to a merger of our organizations in late 1997,
we now include the national/international organizations of ALPO-MS and NAMN
-- as well as the inclusion of their leaders into the AMS staff.  While it
means that some of us now wear multiple hats (Bob Lunsford has three!), we
felt it important that these organizations continue as they were after the
merger.  The ALPO is a large organization of amateurs/professionals
interested in solar system astronomy, and its Meteor Section, headed by Bob
now for several years,  provides many individuals with their first
introductions to meteor science and observation techniques.  In like
fashion, the North American Meteor Network (NAMN), begun by George Zay,
Mark Davis, and Lew Gramer pioneered the formation of an Internet-based,
dues-free meteor observers group -- with wonderfully rapid communications
and the ability to reach large numbers of potential new enthusiasts.  if
members of these groups wish to further their exposure and participation in
meteor astronomy, then the AMS and IMO can be joined at their own option.

it should not be surprising that the leaders of these organizations are
active members of the AMS staff, performing duties for the entire
federation in addition to leading their own organizations.  Anyone who has
every lead a volunteer organization  understands how scarce enthusiastic
manpower (or woman power) is, and how a a handful of dedicated individuals
carry the majority of the load for everyone.  I owe much appreciation to
Jim Bedient, Mark Davis, Bob Lunsford, Lew Gramer, Cathy Hall, and Norman
McLeod for their work and efforts in furthering the cause of meteor
astronomy in North America.  New volunteers are always welcome to add to
the team, but these folks are doing a fine job (and often sacrificing their
own observing sessions to do so).

Take care,

       Jim

James Richardson
Tallahassee, Florida
richardson@digitalexp.com

Operations Manager / Radiometeor Project Coordinator
American Meteor Society (AMS)
http://www.amsmeteors.org

Follow-Ups: References: