[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NASA News articles

In a message dated 99-06-26 22:21:33 EDT, rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au writes:

<< Joe, the historical analyses you have done are very important, but the
 derivation of predictions from these is limited without some overall
 theoretical basis.  Ultimately, when we do the dust trail calculations
 back before 1799, we will get a better handle on the geometrical
 circumstances that result in the biggest storms. >>

Rob . . . agreed!  Here, in fact, was my "take" on the 1799 Leonids (from my
Leonid article in the October 1998 WGN):

"From these observations, one might speculate that in 1799 and 1832, the
Earth encountered a very dense, narrow filament of dense particles ejected
from the nucleus of 55P/Tempel-Tuttle.  Such particles must have been ejected
under very particular conditions -- very intense and continuous -- to acheive
some sort of narrow, compact shape ahead of the comet.  This supposed
filament is apparently composed of recently released dust, less dispersed but
very rich in large (1 gram) particles."

Based on what Bailey, Asher and Emil'Yenko discovered about the resonant
meteoroids that produced last year's fireballs, the only thing I might now
change in my original statement is to remove the words "recently released."

-- joe rao