[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ARCHIVE RESEND Re: (meteorobs) Is NAMN and the ALPO Meteor Section needed?

Despite what people might think of George, the question in the subject
is a valid one to ask.

There was a time not that ago where organised meteor observing had
largely been forgotten in the USA.  Through the efforts of a number of
people it had a rebirth through NAMN, ALPO, and local groups.
Meanwhile the slumbering giant, the AMS, awoke to embrace these smaller
organizations.  From what people have said it is too early to eliminate
bodies like the NAMN.  It wouldn't be fair to the sterling efforts made
by various people.  There is the question of being known to their
members, whereas the AMS is something new.

Yes the same people responsible are now involved in running the AMS, but
for some observers, belonging to the NAMN means more to them than the
AMS.  Given time and a successful AMS catering for observers across the
spectrum of experience, I think the originating organisations will be
subsumed.  The originators will know when it's time.  Now is not.

I see the AMS and IMO as complementary with different roles.  National
and local organisations are especially important to encourage more
people to go out and enjoy the heavens, and later gather scientifically
useful information too.  IMO concentrates on defining standards so that
various reports can be combined, bringing observers from around the
world together, and to produce global analyses.

Likewise meteorobs and imo-news have different roles just as Sirko
says.  The latter has a high signal to noise especially during a major
shower.  Trying to read meteorobs during the Leonids was daunting. The
imo-news distills the various results into an overall picture. I'm
impressed how quickly Rainer and friends produce these reports so
quickly following the event.  I think the current division has worked
out well.

Bottom line: it's horses for courses.

P.S. It was cloudy in Hilo over the weekend, so no June Bootids seen.