[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) RE: [Fwd: Fw: RASC List: Fireball Report]

A great description of the phenomena known as "electrophonic sound"!
-----SNIP!----
>sound continued until object's breakup; immediately after breakup (1/4 1to
>1/10th second) there was a faint crackling sound, like firecrackers off in
>the distance.  The fact of this sound so closely following the object's
>breakup.....
Along with the low elevation angle and slow speed, it leads me to think that
this observer was too far away to hear even a sonic boom from any of the
objects surviving the breakup.  It may be worth checking to see if anybody
in the St. Thomas or Chatham or even Windsor area reported hearing a sonic
boom.

Hey, wasn't there a fireball sighting in Windsor, ON. this time of year two
or three years ago?

Thanks for the forward Elton.
Bob V.