Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:15:38 -0500
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Astrobiology and meteor science
From: "Bertil Olsson" <olsson@geosc.psudot edu>
To: meteorobs@latrade.com

>From: Thomas Ashcraft <72632.1427@compuserve.com>
>Date: Sat, Feb 27, 1999, 12:28 AM
> The mention of "astrobiology" is intriguing to me in relation to meteor
> science and I never see it discussed here on the meteorobs list. The reason
> I got into meteor studies was from reading Fred Hoyle and Chandra
> Wickramasinghe discourse on the possibilities of extraterrestrial microbes
> and other potential evolutionary agents in cometary dust clouds. Two books
> come to mind: THE INTELLIGENT UNIVERSE and LIFECLOUD. Both books are
> scientifically controversial but I find them exciting in possibilities.
>
> Does anyone know of recent articles or new thoughts on astrobiolgy in
> relation to meteoritics?

Some useful info and ideas are described in:
"Comets and the Origin and Evolution of Life",
eds. Paul Thomas, Cristopher Chyba & Cristopher McKay
Springer Verlag, 1997

It contains some discussions about the Chyba/Sagan calculations of
organic material deposition on the prebiotic Earth, and also gives
a lot of good references.

If you do a search on the net you should also find some material
treating the zodiacal dust problem for future planetary searches
in infrared, especially with the planned "Terrestrial Planetary
Finder (TPF)".

cheers,
   Bert

Bert Olsson, M.Sc.                              Phn:(+1) 814-865-3321
Penn State Astrobiology Research Center         Fax:(+1) 814-863-7823
434 Deike Building
University Park, PA 16802