[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) ARCHIVE RESEND: [VLF and ELF meteor emissions]

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 17:58:45 -0400
From: Thomas Ashcraft <72632.1427@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: (meteorobs) RE: [Fwd: Fw: RASC List: Fireball Report]
To: "INTERNET:meteorobs@jovian.com" <meteorobs@jovian.com>

Message text written by INTERNET:meteorobs@jovian.com

>  Wonder if anyone has ever listened for signals from bright meteors and
>fireballs with one of the VLF or ELF "nature radios?"
>
>George Kelley

Jim B, George K and the list,

I have attempted to receive meteors using an ELF receiver but never
detected any.

Jim B is correct in noting that it would take thousands of hours to get a
definite ELF  result. Non-fireball meteors don't seem to be detectable at
low frequencies. Larger sporadic fireballs in the vicinity of one observing
location are random and essentially rare.  Monitoring during showers with
predictable large fireballs like the Perseids and Leonids may produce a
positive result at some point.  But I think it would take a very large
fireball to produce a reception, perhaps one such as the occaisional
reported fireball that makes electrophonic sound. Those fireballs are rare
to be sure.

The best chance for a positive reception would have been during last year's
two day Leonid fireball outburst. During those two nights there were
fireballs going directly overhead.

During those Leonid nights/days I was forward scatter monitoring at FM
frequencies and that was an incredible radio experience. I had the good
fortune of being set up outside with a vast clear New Mexico sky panorama
and noted many, many FM fireball receptions with the the specific meteors
in line of sight.

ELF radio monitoring is very interesting though if anybody ever gets a
chance to do it. The most interesting ELF phenomena are solar storm
generated and we are now heading into an increase in solar activity as the
solar cycle builds. You can hear McGreevey's ELF radio files somewhere on
the web. They're pretty wild.

Tom Ashcraft
Brooklyn, New York

------- End of Forwarded Message