[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Fireballs & sonic booms

I've had electrophinics reported occasionally for almost every fireball
I've investigated, but the Keay's theory certainly requires a large
(brighter than full moon) object with a turbulent wake.  However, my
feeling is that the proportion of reports scale with brightness; very few
for faint naked-eye meteors and many more for bright objects.  I myself
once heard a hissing from overhead, looked up and saw a mag +1 meteor with
a sparkling trail.  The instant the meteor stopped, the hissing stopped.
The sound was directional from the meteor as far as I can tell.  This
seems to fit no theory I know of, but could just have been coincidence.

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au