[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) video observations June 99

Lew,

> Thanks very much for your video report, Sirko! We all know the German
> groups are actually doing disproportionately high Teff hours each month,

well, it's not as much as you may think. There are only a few really
active visual observers over here.

> By the way, thanks for describing your setup for the list: it sounds
> like something that many amateurs might try to create. Are there any
> images or diagrams of your system on the Web? Also, what procedures
> do you use for reducing and analyzing your video data?

A general description on how video meteor systems are constructed can be
found on our web site at http://www.imodot net/video
My camera belongs to the camera series that was described in WGN 22-4 (1996):
http://www.informatik.rwth-aachendot de/I6/Colleagues/molau/meteore/newdim.html

The video data stream is automatically analyzed with the meteor detection
software MetRec I have been developing in the last 15 months. That
software was presented at the Meteoroids'98 conference and the last IMC.
I'm just preparing the papers, so there is no HTML version ready yet.
However, the software is available at the IMO ftp server
(ftp://ftp.imodot net/pub/software/metrec). It comes with a readme files that
explains the algorithms, hard&software requirements and a number of other
features in detail.

The nice thing about the system it is that I can sleep in those boring
moonlit February nights with no meteor activity, but still observe
meteors. :-)

Best wishes, Sirko

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *