[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Watch out what you download!

Along with being a member of this list, I am also a member of an eclipse list
(eclipse@hydradot carletondot ca) as well. A few days ago, on that list there was a
posting from somebody who I had not previously seen before who supposedly had
some sort of eclipse photograph that he wanted someone on the list to explain
to him.  About a day or so later, this same individual sent another message
saying that:  ". . . oh by the way, that attached file from the other day
just happened to contain the HAPPY99 worm virus.  Sorry, I didn't know about
it," (yeah, right)!

I was very thankful that I didn't try to open this person's file, but I am
quite certain quite a few people on the eclipse list probably did.  Since I
have seen files occasionally offered on this list, I think there is a lesson
to be learned here: don't open any file unless you are absolutely certain of
the source!

-- joe rao