[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) -19 MagitUDE?!

Asaf,
I'm not sure what the maximum possible apparent magnitude of a fireball
might be, but a 100 metre asteroid seen from several kms distance would
considerably outshine the Sun.  Actually the limit you could see would be
the physiological limit caused by damage to the retina.  At about the same
time, your surroundings would burst into flames!  A short time later,
the object would slam into the Earth or disintegrate with a massive air
burst.  This is not science fiction which is why the asteroid threat to
the Earth is a serious issue.

Have a nice day.

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au