From: Donald E Norris <Don.Norris@usmdot edu>
To: <MeteorObs@Charlestondot net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 1999 9:53 PM
Subject: fireball report

I'm a university (Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg) biology professor, and
I'm emailing you on the basis of a quick and  cursory search of websites
about meteors: I just observed (at about 8:25 PM) an impressive fireball
that was so big and bright (much brighter and much bigger than Venus) that
it caught my attention from the corner of my vision. It was high in the sky,
heading northward.  I then watched it for 3-4 seconds. It was bright
greenish yellow, left a white vapor trail as long as the width of my hand,
and finally expired with an expanding glow and a small interior crumb of
red. It did not break up into smaller pieces. There was a little sound, hard
to describe, a sort of swishy pop.  Well, this sounds, and is, unscientific,
but there was a note on your site to email you pronto about fireballs, so
I'm taking a minute to do that, rather than to work up a lecture on rabies
for tomorrow AM. Don Norris