[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireballs & sonic booms

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Lew Gramer wrote:

> ....As Malcolm
> hinted (facetiously?), this may have to do with the possible lack of properly
> sized resonating metallic structures near the observers who have not heard any
> electrophonics.

I have discussed the subject of fireball electrophonics with Colin Keay on
several occasions.  It is his belief that hair, spectacles or long thin
structures like pine needles are the transducers to audible sounds.

It would be wrong of me to express any opinion on the reality of these
sounds, as I haven't read all the literature, but the range of reported
sounds and accompanying fireballs clearly does not fit the current theory
of the production of electrophonics (sounds associated with intrinsically
faint meteors or sounds following the object across the sky) to the extent
that at least some would still have to be explained as either psychology
or coincidence.

Cheers, Rob

Robert H. McNaught
(rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au)