[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireballs & sonic booms

lew<<
 George, those of us who have read your Handbook or been on this list for any
 length of time were already aware that you've not witnessed any electrophonic
 sounds before... Some very heavy observers have, some haven't.<<

For those who have been on this list for any length of time could ignore the
fact that I haven't witnessed any electrophonic sounds before if they want
to. But for those many new observers who are now on the list since then, may
be interested in knowing this fact. As you stated, some very heavy observers
have and some haven't....I'm one of those who haven't.

 lew>>As Malcolm
 hinted (facetiously?), this may have to do with the possible lack of properly
 sized resonating metallic structures near the observers who have not heard
any
 electrophonics. Or perhaps only those with bad dentistry in the form of
 metallic fillings are subject to the effect?? :) <<

This is quite possible.

lew>>But I do get an impression from the literature
 that enough experienced observers (other than yourself ;>) have reported
 simultaneous sounds, that it is at least worth exploring.<<

As I've written in my meteor observing guidebook, Psychological effects as
well as physical effects may have their share in electrophonic sounds being
reported. I've presented both possibilities about equally.

lew>>After all, if this
 effect could be swept aside as a "mere" psychological effect as you claim,
 then why wouldn't you have witnessed any of these psychological artefacts
 before? <<

Perhaps I'm more prepared to note whether or not psychological effects are at
play than most people and thus have less hallucinations? I've always wondered
if folks often hear electrophonics from the lesser fireballs, why people
aren't often plagued by frequent buzzings or other noise in their heads while
sitting in the house or even while sleeping?

lew>>Clearly, a possibility exists that something else may be going on.<<

It's clear that some very bright fireballs have produced electrophonic
sounds, but it's apparently not that clear whether the lesser magnitude
fireballs have genuinely produced electrophonics or were just psychological
effects. I wonder how many electronically documented electrophonics has
occurred for fireballs with magnitudes less than -10?
GeoZay