[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball over New Zealand

Hi folks,

I just got off the telephone with my father in New Zealand. Apparently,
yesterday at approx 4pm (local time) there was a large fireball that
crossed large portions of New Zealand. It was widely seen, from the west
coast of the South Is, travelling North East and "seemed" to go into the
sea, SE of Napier (on the west coast of the North Is), this is a span of
600+ miles. It was visible from the Canterbury plains, and explosions were
heard from many parts of the country.

As reported on the news and the "Holmes Show" and local TV interview/talk
show, by many witnesses, it was/had:-

 -  a heavy smoke trail
 -  broke off pieces at several points across the flight path
 -  was extremely bright, but not as bright as the sun
 -  color varied from orange/yellow to blue/white
 -  cause tremendous sounds, from explosions, and sonic booms

A local expert (from the Carter Observatory) estimated that it was about
the size of an automobile. He sounded quite knowledgeable from the
interview on the Holmes show. My father recorded the Holmes shwo, and
played it for me across the telephone. Unfortunately he is not particularly
computer literate, else I would get him to report this himself :-)

There were no reports of debris being recovered, although I'll bet many
people are looking!

One witness, saw a airplane flying into/out of Wellington airport,
immediately after the event, and thought that the airplane was higher than
the meteor. She realised that, that was impossible, but felt it gave a good
indication of the size and speed of the meteor.

I hope to get a video tape of the event within a few days.

Exciting times, and I'm looking forward to seeing more reports perhaps
enabling us to figure out the trajectory.

Robert.

--
rleyland@nbn.com ...................... leyland@bigape.com
 snappy saying snipped saving significant signature space