[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) another fireball report

>Tuesday, July 6th at 8:25, an object plunged into the atmosphere
>north-northeast of my home in Petal, Mississippi. No kidding. It
>seemed to start a few degrees short of zenith and in less than a
>second, disappeared just above the horizon.

I did not take away from this report that the person was necessarily
stating he felt the object had landed... In fact, his use of "degrees
short of zenith" to describe the starting point lead me to believe that
his description of the terminus was also an angular measure relative
to the "sky dome" - the only appropriate way to express sky positions.

However, Mr. Zay does point out a frequent misconception expressed by
fireball witnesses, that the object has landed near them! This happens
so frequently, it's addressed by its own page on the 'meteorobs' site:

    http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/fireballs.html

Many fireballs all!
Lew