[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireballs & sonic booms

Dave,

If certain individuals with certain hairstyles (with or without creams
or sprays), certain spectacle frames, certain shapes of head, at
certain locations under certain conditions etc. hear the low-mass
fireballs, how is anyone going to prove it scientifically?  There are
so many free parameters and too few observations.  I agree with Lew,
it's fascinating and we need more data, but we don't know which data
to record.  The discrepancy between observation and theory may never
be resolved.  It is telling that the most experienced observers have
not heard audio meteors.  It is conceivable that many simultaneous
sounds are psychological and we should not rule that out because it's
unpalatable.

Please note that I'm not talking about the bright bolides where there
are independent reports of sound, for which there is some theoretical
basis.

Like Bob I too was sceptical when I learnt how many Graham Wolf claims
to have heard.  Perhaps wiring up Graham would be a good start to get
some answers.

Malcolm

P.S. Interesting post SteveH.