[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fireball Reporting (was Re: (meteorobs) Pre-Moon Observations)

Kim Youmans wrote:
>I enjoyed two more clear nights during the weekend. The meteors
>were quite bright at times, and I was treated to a possible SAG
>fireball, and a beautiful -3 wannabe.

Hi, Kim! Thanks for forwarding your continued excellent reports,
and congratulations on your obvious commitment to the observing!

BTW, on the above, you should be aware that the IMO Fireball Data
Center actually defines any meteor of *at least* mag -3 (corrected
for altitude) as a fireball... So your -3 wasn't a wannabe, and
you should be sure to report it (along with your -4) to:

    http://www.imodot net/fireball/report.html

PS: Folks, that altitude correction is important. If you see what
looks like a -1 or -2 meteor low enough to the horizon, you have
probably seen a fireball... Report it if you can!

Clear skies,
Lew

Follow-Ups: References: