[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fireball Reporting (was Re: (meteorobs) Pre-Moon Observations)

George has pointed out some confusion here: Note that I said "what
LOOKS LIKE a -1 or -2 meteor". Obviously, if you determine that a
fireball near the horizon really *is* only mag -1 or -2, i.e., by
using comparison objects which are at nearly the same altitude as
the meteor, then it is naturally not considered a fireball by IMO...

However, contrary to what George says, the FIDAC Website defines
what IMO does consider a fireball as follows. This is somewhat
 confusingly worded, which may be the cause of George's post,
but is nonetheless quite specific:

"The definition of a fireball is somewhat arbitrary and in the
 literature the required minimum magnitude varies between about -2
 mag to -6 mag. In the IMO Fireball Data Center (FIDAC), we
 regard meteors of at least apparent magnitude -3 mag (corrected
 for zenith position) as fireballs. By zenithal magnitude we mean
 the brightness the meteor would have if it had appeared in the
 zenith of the observing site. As an example, a meteor appearing
 like -1 mag may actually be a fireball if it moves only a few
 degrees above the horizon."

Clear skies and many of these selfsame fireballs, all!
Lew