[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Frustrating night at NJAA-JPE's

Greeting from NJ,
	We had a frustrating night at the NJAA  as JPE activity appeared to be
quite good...until we got on the clock, that is.
	Kevin Kilkenny, Anne Gale and I arrived (or awoke) around midnight and saw
at least 3, and possibly 4 definate JPE's, and an equal number of sporadics
between then and 1:30 AM. (0400-0530 UT) Unfortunately this was through 60
to 80% cloud cover, so we were not recording data.
It then clouded up for an hour, and we finally managed to record data
between 2:30 and 4 or so. (0630-0800 UT). As is often the humerous method
of the cosmic muffin, both JPE and sporadic rates appeared to be much
lower, and despite a satellite photograph that insisted it was clear over
us, it wasn't, so all in all it was a very frustrating night.
	I haven't had a chance to process my data, but weather will allegedly be
good tonight, so I'll probably do both nights during Monday. It was nice to
have Anne join Kevin and I..dot it's the most observers at one time at the
NJAA since last fall's visits from Pierre and Cathy for the Leonids and
Lew's visit a few weeks later.
	We had plenty of time for a good chat during the "waiting for the clear
skies to clear" period. And in tonight's contest, satellites were the clear
(haha) winner over meteors during data collection time :-(
	I hope (and suspect) Lew did better since he was heading west from the
land of the pink sky last night.

Wayne