[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireballs & sonic booms

Markku, George asks a good question regarding your sensation of directional
sound from this fireball... If the audible effect is in fact caused by radio
waves resonating with surrounding metallic structures, it would be difficult
to imagine triangulating the direction from which the waves emanated.

Therefore it is interesting that you experienced that directional sensation!
One possibility this suggests is that the flash seen on the ground from this
fireball was the actual cause of your directional sensation - and therefore
of your sensation of simultaneous sound as well?

Of course, what I fail to understand about THAT explanation, is how a flash
could provide the necessary directionality in so short a time? If anything,
I would expect the play of light and shadow from a fireball might CONFUSE
the observer as to the actual source's direction. Or am I missing something?

BTW I think it may be significant, independent of any question of direction,
that you remember perceiving a sound but DON'T pecifically mention seeing a
reflection of the fireball... Again, like my own and similar experiences I
have heard described, this seems to present some difficultly with assigning
a "synaesthesial" (thanks for the word, Rob ;>) explanation to this event.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience of this event.

Clear skies and quiet observing fields! :)
Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: